When the IK Foundation publishes books they are produced to achieve the highest level of quality in terms of content as well as of design; we practice a classic craft in which great attention is paid to the choice of paper, typefaces, printing and binding to provide the reader with the very best experience. Our books are made to last for centuries, as they are often used as reference works – we are proud of this tradition and will continue to uphold it in the future.
iBooks have other advantages, including the fact that one can read them freely. We see iBooks as inspiring sources of information and as research tools. Should You wish to experience the printed volumes, they can generally be purchased with an iFellow discount in The IK Bookshop or are available in major libraries around the world.
RÉSUMÉ | TEXTILE SQUARES & ZIGZAGS... | By Viveka Hansen
Textile Squares and ZigZags by Viveka Hansen
This iBOOK is a continuation of a textile research project, which stretched from the year 1985 to 1991, which came to be published in the Swedish language with the title Textila Kuber och Blixtar: Rölakanets Konst- och Kulturhistoria
. A book which was primarily based on an in-depth inventory of almost 1,700 double interlocked tapestries in textile collections in northern Europe. It is here presented with an additional summarised English version – in the total of 330 pages.
The English text gives detailed information about each and every chapter as well as a translation of all captions and pattern combinations from the original print. Whilst the original Swedish text is still very much in demand, not least because of its seminal research, detailed content and extensive illustrations as well as drawings of each and every known pattern of this weaving technique. This multi language edition includes:
- The origin and description of double interlocked tapestries.
- Geographical traces of the patterns – in a global perspective.
- The weavers, domestic interiors, dowries and everyday life during the period 1700 to 1860.
- Double interlocked tapestries, preserved at museums and private collections.
- The research and inventory of almost 1,700 double interlocked tapestries.
- 200 detailed drawings of all designs/pattern combinations.
- Tables, giving information about: borders, materials, sizes, markings, decorative features etc.
- The volume is lavishly illustrated.